History

Gorliz, within the jurisdiction of Uribe, was represented by seat number 52 in the Provincial General Assembly, and sided favourably with the medieval Oñaz family lineage, being settled by the Amézaga, Artaza, Basaldua, Oñate, and Ibarra, among other families.In 1299 was taken off of his Gaminiz's neighborhood by D. Diego López de Haro to provide territorial base to a new villa: Placencia (today Plentzia).

Light-house

Thanks to its geographical situation Gorliz’s people were focus on seamanship. The characteristics of this area was favourable  for the development of agriculture and cattle-raising , as well as the obtaining of wood for shipbuilding. Ribera’s carpenters worked on boats, ships and, in particular, "venaqueros" boats, destined for the traffic of iron that came out from "Poveña de Musquis", the mines of Somorrostro, on Cantabrian coast’s way.

Lineages of shipowners was settled in the coastal town, and by the 18th century, Gorliz was one of the most notable merchant fleet. Gorliz, had 15 vessels with a total capacity of 5.280 quintals, 264 tons, according to the relationship by the General Council to the Ensenada’s Marqués , occupying the second place after the Villa of Bilbao, according to the inspection of all vessels that existed in the lordship of Biscay ports.

Aware of the presence of British warships in the Bay of Biscay, the Manor agreed in June 1741 to strengthen its coasts in prevention of a possible attack. The Bay of Gorliz had two forts, built in the 18th century, which worked until the mid-19th century, located one in the "Arenal" (Areatza today) and the other at "Askorriaga’s", which are still the ruins.

Gorliz retained its seafaring spirit while becoming an ever popular recreational destination around the turn of the 20th century, bringing with it a new air of prosperity and industrial euphoria, and a faster lifestyle. Gorliz was to become the ideal destination spot to spend the summer, or to enjoy anytime, proving to be the beginnings of a new era for the municipality due to its privileged location on the coast of Bizkaia. 

Heraldry: The historical personality of the community of Gorliz is clearly defined by its proximity to the sea, vocation which leads its enblem. "In the field of silver, a natural ship  and a church with its Tower, and all of this over blue and silver waves ". Gorliz has a flag, whose adaptation was approved at General Committee of Bizkaia on December 2, 2003.